Eggs are a staple in almost every kitchen. They're almost inescapable -- even when your fridge is empty, there's still that jar of mustard and that carton of eggs. But how much do you know about those fragile bundles of yolky goodness? Eggs are an essential part of baking and an even more essential part of a Benedict, but did you know they serve a purpose beyond satisfying your hunger?
Here are 10 amazing things you can do with eggs.
- Add them to your compost. The calcium in the shells helps plants to grow big and strong.
- Make a facial. Egg yolk facials have been around for centuries and deliver smooth, healthy skin. Having egg on your face never felt so good.
- Or use them for a shampoo. Eggs are natural moisturizers and will add shine and bounce to your hair.
- Water your plants. Instead of throwing out the water after you've made hard boiled eggs, save it, let it cool, then pour the nutrient-rich water over your houseplants.
- Egg carton art projects. They're super easy and super fun. Best of all, there are thousands of creative ideas on how to use them.
- Clean your leather. Spread egg whites on your leather jacket, shoes, or furniture, wipe off with a damp towel, and boom: shiny, protected leather.
- Use them for glue. Egg whites are very sticky when they dry. Dab a little on whatever you need gluing and viola! Glue substitute.
- Do a magic trick. There are tons of magic tricks using eggs, but this one will blow your mind and win you free drinks!
- Or use them for a science experiment. It's an eggsellent way to teach your kids about pressure, heat, and globular proteins.
- Make an all-natural Band-Aid. Hard boil an egg, then use the membrane between the shell and the egg to make a Band-Aid. It acts like skin to keep dirt and grime out.
What are your secret uses for eggs?
Photo via Steve A Johnson/Flickr