The following is a post from our sponsor, Quaker.
Ladies, we know the drill. You just woke up, bleary-eyed and hungry. The clock is ticking. Everyone needs to be up, dressed and ready, and you can barely manage to turn the coffee maker on.
First things first, moms! You need to nourish yourself for the battle ahead. Yes, that means eating your own breakfast as well as feeding your crew of ravenous kids. These super-fast, super-satisfying breakfast ideas are just the thing to help fuel you up for your busy day. Some can be made ahead, they can all be eaten with just one hand and – if you’re feeling generous – your kids will be thrilled if you share!
1) Instant Oatmeal: It’s convenient (you can even microwave it), it’s satisfying, and now with Quaker Perfect Portions, this breakfast staple is versatile, too! Measure out as much as you want and sweeten it to your own taste with sugar or honey, then top with your favorite mix-ins like a little yogurt or fruit.
2) Lazy Mom’s Baked Eggs: These are like hard-boiled eggs, but you don’t have to peel them AND they’re the perfect shape for breakfast sandwiches! Plus they can be made ahead of time and refrigerated, and they’re yummy hot, cold or room temperature.
TO MAKE THEM: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray the holes of a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Crack one egg into each hole, sprinkle with salt and pepper (or whatever herbs you like) and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the whites are completely set, the yolks are mostly firm and the edges are a little golden brown. Run a knife around the edge of each one to loosen and carefully remove them with a spoon or tongs. Pop one between the halves of an English muffin with a slice of cheese or Canadian bacon, and voila! Instant breakfast sandwich.
3) Mini Frittatas: If you prefer your eggs scrambled, you’ll love these. The procedure is almost the same as above, but you beat a dozen eggs with a little milk before dividing them among the muffin tin holes. Then sprinkle with your favorite mix-ins (chopped veggies, bacon, shredded cheese) and bake until puffy and slightly golden. They’ll deflate once cool but are also delicious at any temperature and are perfect for eating on the run.
4) Homemade Waffles and Pancakes: We know what you’re thinking. Who has time for that?! The trick to these is to make them ahead of time whenever you have the chance (and it’s fine to use a mix to save yourself some hassle - Aunt Jemima makes a “just add water” variety that is super convenient), then refrigerate or freeze the finished product for AM reheating in the toaster or microwave. By making them from scratch, you can enhance them with nutritious additions like canned pumpkin, ground flaxseed, fresh or frozen berries or chopped nuts (or even extra treats like chocolate chips or sprinkles). Flavor right in the batter means you don’t need to worry about toppings so they’re easier to eat with one hand!
5) Super Smoothies: These blended beauties can be a real meal in a glass. Throw in whatever you want – fruit (fresh or frozen), peanut butter, yogurt, milk, honey, even a handful of fresh spinach – and experiment until you find the perfect combination.
6) No-Brainer Classics: You know the ones. A slice of toast with peanut butter, a bagel with cream cheese, bowl of cold cereal with milk, even a Quaker Big Chewy granola bar. Grab a banana and you’re all set.
What’s your favorite grab-and-go breakfast?