Sometimes I feel sorry for old sugar. It's been catching a lot flack these days and it's time we showed this food staple some love. Fact is, sugar is something we can't live without. We need it to survive (in its carbohydrate form) and we need it to have a little fun, too. Like I always say, when life hands you lemons, make lemon and sugar water.
Here are 7 amazing things you can do with the deliciously sweet and useful substance.
- Keeps your flowers looking great. Three teaspoons sugar to 2 tablespoons white vinegar per 1 quart of water is just the right mix to help your table flowers last long and look pretty.
- Removes stains. Using a similar recipe as above, mixing vinegar, sugar, laundry detergent, and water until it becomes a paste will remove stains, even blood.
- All-natural lighter fluid. Toss a few tablespoons over your charcoal and light it. The sugar burns off and the gas is very flammable.
- Great exfoliate. There are tons of excellent homemade skin exfoliating recipes, and the one thing they all have in common? Sugar.
- Gets rid of brown spots. Hate those sun spots on your hands? Combine sugar with lemon on a cotton ball, leave it on for 30 minutes, rinse, and repeat.
- Natural pesticide. Got worms? Specifically, nematodes? Sprinkle some sugar in your garden -- it acts as a natural repellent toward these pesky, garden eating parasites.
- Cleans greasy hands. A spoonful of sugar will take the car, bike, whatever grease off your hands in a jiffy.
What's your favorite trick for using sugar?
Photo via Mel B/Flickr