On a Friday, it's rare to be looking forward to Sunday night, but this weekend is an exception, because this Sunday night is the Mad Men season 6 premiere. FINALLY! Eee! And what better way to celebrate than by whipping up some retro cocktails circa the late '60s and playing a drinking game?!
Here, a few ideas for era-appropriate libations, and then, "the rules" ...
- Classic daiquiri - Sweet cocktails like this one reached a zenith in the late '60s.
- A classic sidecar - Delicious if you find citrus groovy.
- Tequila Sunrise - Another good one if you enjoy O.J.
- The Cape Codder - Great if you dig cranberry juice!
- The Moscow Mule - If you like lime, this is one to try.
To play, drink every time the following occurs/appears in the season premiere. Could probably work for other episodes in the season, but I can't officially advocate playing a drinking game every Sunday night. (Also, warning: Make sure to sip your drink slowly when you see the following, or else you're bound to get more buzzed than drunky Don at his worst in season 4!)
- Don flirting with someone other than Megan
- Megan being treated like a famous actress
- Betty being miserable
- Betty being cruel to Sally
- Sally acting rebellious
- A Hawaiian shirt
- A peace sign
- Pete being smarmy
- Joan flirting with Roger
- Psychadelic colors
- Peggy being the boss lady and puttin' the menz in their place
- A historical event comes up
- An anti-war demonstration
- Megan wears an impossibly trendy, sexy outfit
- A new character is introduced
- Someone references death/dying
- Don knocks a pitch to a client out of the park
How will you be celebrating the season premiere?
Image via Michael Yarish/AMC