With Easter just around the corner, you're probably starting to bookmark recipe ideas, right? Well, I've got another one to add to your list: Hot Cross Buns. Yum. They aren't terribly hard to make; they're a great project to do with the kids; they're delicious; and, you know, they've got crosses on them. The perfect Easter treat.
Let's do this, people. Let's make warm, sweet hot cross buns that are sure to be a hit at Easter brunch.
More from The Stir: Super-Cute & Easy Easter Bunny Cake Recipe
Hot Cross Buns
1. Put warm water, butter, skim milk powder, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, egg, egg white, flour, and yeast in bread maker and start on dough program.
2. When 5 minutes of kneading are left, add currants and cinnamon. Leave in machine till double.
3. Punch down on floured surface, cover, and let rest 10 minutes.
4. Shape into 12 balls and place in a greased 9 x 12 inch pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double, about 35-40 minutes.
5. Mix egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water. Brush on balls.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.
7. To make crosses: mix together confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and milk. Brush an X on each cooled bun.
Image via bgreenlee/Flickr