I'm a big pie person. Maybe even more so than cakes. There's something -- I know this is a weird word to use, but -- refreshing about pie. And I don't feel like I've gained 700 pounds and am five seconds away from breaking out after I've had a piece. And also -- it's super easy to make (especially if you're not making the crust from scratch, like I pretty much never do). This super yummy Triple Berry Pie recipe is my go-to dessert during the warmer months, but I've been feeling a little blah lately, so I decided to make it recently. Still delicious. And still super easy. Yum.
Triple Berry Pie
- 2 store-bought unbaked pie crusts (if you make yours from scratch, hat tip, m'friend)
- 4 cups strawberries, washed and sliced
- 2 cups raspberries, rinsed
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange, zest of
1. Preheat oven to 400. Combine the berries with a 1/4 cup of sugar and let stand over a sieve for a half hour to drain some of the liquid. Combine the rest of the ingredients minus the crust. Using a 9 inch pie plate, arrange your crust and spoon the filling in. Place the second crust over and crimp edges. Make sure to cut a vent into the dough or use a pie bird. You can also do a lattice top pie if you're feeling fancy.
2. You can brush the top of the pie with a mix of one egg yolk and a teaspoon of water (makes for a lovely golden brown crust).
3. Bake for 20 minutes at 400 and then bake at 350 for another 40-50 minutes. Remove when crust is golden brown.
Image via Steve Snodgrass/Flickr