With Valentine's Day a week away, it's definitely not too early to start thinking about what kinds of holiday treats you might want to indulge in ... or, even sweeter, bake up for your honey. And while you never really need an excuse to enjoy a red velvet dessert -- defined as any variation on the Southern classic-turned-trendy cake -- V-Day's a great one!
Here are six delicious red velvet recipes that'll delight your taste buds and warm your heart, starting with one of the most decadent -- Red Velvet Whoopie Pies!
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies from Food Network
For the cookies:
For the filling:
1. Make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the semisweet and milk chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 50 percent power until melted, about 2 minutes. Whisk until smooth.
2. Whisk the melted butter, sour cream, eggs, vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring in a bowl until combined. In another bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in four equal batches, whisking each batch completely before adding the next. Stir in the melted chocolate.
4. Scoop heaping tablespoonfuls of batter onto the prepared baking sheets and smooth the tops with a damp finger. Bake until the cookies spring back when lightly pressed, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make the filling: Beat the cream cheese and butter with a mixer until smooth. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla seeds. Sandwich a heaping tablespoonful of filling between 2 cookies; repeat with the remaining cookies and filling. Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.
Other amazing ones to try ...
All you need to know is that these have cream cheese frosting and anyone you give a batch to will most definitely be your Valentine in a heartbeat.
So what if V-Day falls on a weekday this year? You can still whip up some of these sweet pancakes for a romantic breakfast.
This inventive and cool treat is actually simpler than it sounds. All you need is six ingredients -- including red velvet cupcakes from a bakery or your own kitchen. Nom nom nom!
Think of these as red velvet cupcakes' younger, more innocent but just as sweet sister! They also come complete with brown sugar cream cheese frosting. Oh yes.
Do these not sound like the most amazing thing you've ever eaten!? Even better, you only need four ingredients to make these moist, sweet, and a little bit tangy cake bites in candy form.
What's your favorite red velvet treat?
Image via Fiona Henderson/Flickr