The Super Bowl couldn't come at a more opportune time. As many of us in the Northern parts of the country are enduring a serious wave of bitter temps and getting stuck inside as a result, we can distract ourselves by planning a party. A party filled with comfort food galore!
While wings and dips are usually two of the most popular go-to recipes, let's not forget the multitude of other greasy, delicious finger foods perfect for a Super Bowl fete ... like mozzarella sticks! Which both adults and kids adore. And, wait, it gets better! Because they don't have to be really bad for you. Here, a recipe for a "skinnier" version that's even more likely to please than its fat- and calorie-packed counterpart ...
Skinny Baked Mozzarella Sticks from SkinnyTaste.com
- 12 sticks part-skim, reduced sodium mozzarella string cheese (Sargento)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp flour
- 5 tbsp Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 5 tbsp panko crumbs
- 2 tsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- olive oil cooking spray
- Cut cheese in half to give you 24 pieces. Place cheese in the freezer until cheese is frozen.
- In small bowl, whisk the egg. Place the flour on another small dish. In separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, panko, Parmesan cheese, and dried parsley. Dip the frozen sticks in flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then coat with the crumbs. Repeat this process with the remaining cheese, placing them on a tray with wax paper. Place cheese back into the freezer until ready to bake (this is a must or they will melt before the crumbs get golden).
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with oil.
- Place frozen cheese sticks on baking sheet. Spray the tops of the mozzarella sticks with a little more oil and bake in the bottom third of your oven until crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 4 - 5 minutes watching them closely so they don't melt.
Makes 24 pieces.
Image via slgckgc/Flickr