Every time Girl Scout cookie season rolls around, many of us stockpile our faves -- generally Thin Mints (my go-to) and Samoas (also so delish) are the two biggies. We tuck 'em in our freezers, our basements, our garages. So that way, even when it's not Girl Scout cookie season where you live, you can indulge in one ... OR bake up a batch of incredible cupcakes inspired by -- and featuring -- ooey-gooey caramel, toasted coconut, and chocolate Samoas.
Yes, there must be a Heaven, because a recipe for a Samoa cupcake totally exists! And hey, don't worry if you don't have a box lying around -- these are still amaaaaazing!
Samoa Cupcakes adapted from JavaCupcake.com
1 1/2cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
4 large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 box Samoa Girl Scout Cookies -- broken into pieces (if you have)
1 box Samoa Girl Scout Cookies -- cut in half (if you have)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cupcake pan with 24 liners.
- In a mixer, beat butter on high until soft.
- Slowly add sugar and beat until light and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, making sure to beat well after each egg.
- Add the coconut extract and mix until incorporated.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Measure out the coconut milk and set aside.
- Add about 1/4 of the flour mixture followed by 1/3 of the milk mixture.
- Repeat this step until you end with the flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
- Fold in the coconut flakes and Samoa cookies
- Fill cupcake liners with batter about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 10 minutes then rotate pan. Bake another 5-7 minute or until cupcakes are golden brown.
- Let cool in pan for at least 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack to completely cool before frosting.
- Frost with caramel coconut frosting, drizzle with melted chocolate, and top with 1/2 a Samoa cookie.
Caramel Coconut Frosting
(Depending on how much frosting you want to put on your cupcakes, you may only need half this recipe)
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2/3 cup coconut milk + 2 tbsp more
1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
2 lbs sifted powdered sugar
- In a small pan, melt the butter on medium high heat.
- Stir in the coconut milk and coconut extract. Slowly add the brown sugar and stir until completely dissolved, about 2 to 3 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar 8 oz. at a time and mix with a hand mixer. Scrape the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- If necessary, add up to 2 tbsp more coconut milk to create the consistency you want.
- Mix on high about 2 minutes, scraping sides making sure all the sugar is incorporated.
- Work quickly to frost the cupcakes, the frosting will be warm but hardens quickly and is harder to work with.**
Image via Rachel Kramer Bussel/Flickr