Wuh-oh, people. We're entering that week in which it's pretty much impossible to not be inundated -- and perhaps a bit overwhelmed -- with holiday goodies galore. And with so many treats around, sometimes the best thing you can do is prioritize. If you have to choose just one decadent dessert to bring to your family's annual festivities and splurge on, what'll it be?
Well, when you see this recipe for Chocolate-Ginger Cake with Bourbon Sauce, the answer will be clear as day. Oh yes. The rich cocoa cake kicked up a notch by freshly grated ginger and bourbon-spiked sauce is a showstopper.
Chocolate-Ginger Cake with Bourbon Sauce from MarthaStewart.com
- For cake:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon For bourbon sauce:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup good-quality bourbon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9-inch Bundt pan. Dust with cocoa powder, and tap out excess; set aside. Put butter, molasses, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until butter has melted. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, milk, and grated ginger to the molasses mixture; whisk to combine. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, and cinnamon into a medium bowl.Gently fold the flour mixture into the molasses mixture until just combined. (There should be lumps remaining.)
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For sauce: Put butter, egg yolks, brown sugar, vanilla, and bourbon in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture registers 160 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 7 minutes.
Invert cake, and unmold onto a cake stand or a large serving platter. Using a spoon, drizzle the warm bourbon sauce over the cake in a back-and-forth motion. Serve immediately.
Image via Kimberly Vardeman/Flickr