Scalloped potatoes were a big hit in my house when I was a kid. Hot out of the oven -- yum. They're gooey, decadent, and the perfect side on a chilly fall day. I've made them a few times since I've been an adult, and they definitely stand the test of time -- still delicious. But the one reason I don't make them very often is: They're kind of a pain to prepare. And the cleaning? No thanks.
But not when you make it in the crock pot! Everyone knows, crock pots make recipes infinitely easier -- and this one's no exception. And hey guess what? They're just as delicious.
Crock Pot Cheddar Scalloped Potatoes
- 6 potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 1-2 onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup celery (leaves)
- 1 tbsp parsley (dried)
- 2 tbsps butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 13 ozs evaporated milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated cheddar cheese old or sharp)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
1. Lightly grease cooker insert; layer and alternate potato slices and onion in prepared cooker. In a blender or food processor, combine celery leaves, parsley, butter, flour, salt, pepper, evaporated milk, and cheddar cheese.
2. Process for 1 minute or until mixture is smooth.
3. Pour over potatoes and onions, sprinkle with paprika.
4. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours, until potatoes are tender and heated through.