Thanksgiving will be here before you know it, so it's definitely not too soon to start thinking about planning your holiday meal menu ... let alone planning your post-holiday menu! AKA how you're going to use those mountains of leftover turkey, cranberries, stuffing, etc. after Turkey Day. As any smart and organized chef knows, it doesn't hurt to consider the post-Thanksgiving menu well ahead of time -- especially because it could influence several Thanksgiving prep factors. Like the size of the turkey you buy (the bigger, the more brown bag lunches you'll have in the days following), the kind of pie to bake (which has more staying power -- apple or pumpkin or both?), how you decide to prepare the meal (cranberry chutney or cranberry applesauce?), or store it (fridge or freezer?).
Here, three delicious, easy post-Thanksgiving recipes, courtesy Kristine Quattrone of NYC event catering company Q Events, to consider while prepping the main meal ...
Pumpkin Bread Pudding
- 3/4 loaf baguette, cubed
- 1-1/4 cup pumpkin pie filling
- 3/4 cup pumpkin-flavored coffee creamer (like Coffee-Mate Sugar-Free Pumpkin Spice)
- 1-1/2 cup milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine your leftover coffee creamer and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Scoop remaining pumpkin pie filling into a separate bowl and whisk in yolks, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Slowly whisk in hot cream mixture until combined. Strain the custard into a clean bowl and set aside.
- Take leftover bread loaf or dinner rolls and cut into cubes. Scatter bread cubes in a buttered 9 by 9-inch baking dish or pan. Pour the custard over the bread, pressing down on the bread to totally submerge it in the custard.
- Top with sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice. Let sit for about 15 minutes to allow the bread to soak in the custard.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake about 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Oven Roasted Turkey Wrap
- 4 pieces sliced turkey
- 2 slices brie cheese
- 4 Tbsp. cranberry chutney or sauce
- Mixed field greens
- Any type of wrap bread
- Place wrap flat on counter and add mixed greens to center of wrap. Take pieces of leftover turkey slices and place on top of greens.
- Place the sliced brie over the turkey and pour chutney/cranberry sauce on top of that.
- To roll your wrap, start from edge closest to you, and wrap over the ingredients. Take the opposite edge and place over roll. Fold and tuck edges inside of wrap. Cut in middle and serve on a platter.
Apple Pie Smoothie
- 3/4 cup apple pie filling
- 1/4 cup caramel-flavored coffee creamer (like Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss Vanilla)
- 3 Tbsp. plain yogurt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Ice cubes
- Remove insides of leftover apple pie filling and place in blender.
- Add leftover coffee creamer, yogurt, cinnamon, and handful of ice cubes.
- Blend for 15 seconds. Serve in a tall glass. Garnish with cinnamon on top.
What are some post-Thanksgiving recipes you're planning ahead for?
Images via Kristine Quattrone