Thanksgiving is hands down the best holiday of the year. Not only is it the official kick start to Christmas music season, but it's always a joy to get all the family together and catch up about the year that's been over delicious, seasonal eats. Sure, the turkey may be the main focus of the meal, but Thanksgiving dinner is absolutely nothing without great side dishes.
The big question: who wants to spend loads of time making sides when you've got serious things to talk over with your friends and family ... like the latest season of X Factor or Justin and Selena's big breakup? Exactly. That's why we've compiled a list of 20 awesome side dishes that are done in 30 minutes or less:
15. Sauteed apples
19. Mac and cheese
20. Flaky herb biscuits adapted from Serious Eats:
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano)
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup milk
1. Start by lining a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheating your oven to 425°F.
2. Combine sugar, salt, flour, baking powder, and herbs in a large bowl. Mix until well-combined.
3. Add butter to your dry mixture. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter into dough until it's in small pieces, about the size of dimes. Add milk and stir until dough becomes one thick consistency.
4. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface until it is about 3/4 inch thick. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut the biscuits and then transfer them onto your baking sheet.
5. Bake for about 17 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown, then serve.
What are your favorite Thanksgiving treats? Do you have a signature dish?
Image via Gavin St. Ours/Flickr