Delicious Gingerbread Pancake Recipe the Whole Family Will Love
I'm not sure why gingerbread is such a seasonal food. Gosh darn, it's delicious! We should be eating it and drinking it (hello gingerbread lattes!) year round. There's really no excuse for excluding it from the spring and summer months. No fairsies. Anyway, here's an awesome gingerbread pancake recipe to whet your palette for one of fall and winter's most wonderful spice.
Bonus! They only take 20 minutes of prep time.
Gingerbread Pancakes via Midwest Living
Makes 16 standard size pancakes. Prep time is 20 minutes, cook time is about 4.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup mild-flavored molasses
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Butter (optional)
- Pure maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, molasses and oil. Add milk mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy).
- Heat a lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat. For standard-size pancakes, spoon about 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Spread batter, if necessary. For dollar-size pancakes, use about 2 tablespoons batter. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown. Turn over when pancake surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry.
- Serve immediately. (Or keep warm in a loosely covered ovenproof dish in a 200 degree F oven.) If you like, top pancakes with butter. Serve with warm maple syrup. Garnish with apple slices. Makes 16 standard-size pancakes or 32 mini pancakes.
Photo via frostnova/Flickr