Man Dies After Completely Repulsive Competitive Bug-Eating Eating Contest (VIDEO)

cockroach eating contestIn today's repulsive and horrifying news, a man from Florida is dead after "winning" a live cockroach and worm eating contest in which the prize was a python. Edward Archbold collapsed outside the reptile store and died soon after he ate what looks like hundreds of the creepy-crawlies.

The eating contest was sponsored by a pet store and entomologists assure us that cockroaches aren't "unsafe to eat." So they may have been contaminated with bacteria or other pathogens. It's also possible he was allergic. Whatever the reason, that is a truly, truly awful way to go and obviously it's very sad.

Of course, he also did all this voluntarily. Maybe he didn't know he has an allergy or maybe he didn't know the roaches were infested with sickness. But still. It's horrifying. See below:

The fact is, eating contests are generally really disgusting and often dangerous. At best, you might vomit after stuffing your face with bugs (or pie or sausage or whatever). At worst, you might die. The body isn't made to ingest food (or bugs) like that. It's not healthy.

Now maybe his death is completely coincidental. It's possible, right? This doesn't mean that eating contests are any healthier. They aren't.

I always said I could do anything on that show Fear Factor, but I couldn't do the eating part. Not for a million dollars. Truthfully.

There is something about forcing the body to ingest way too much of something just for glory (or a python) or some other prize that is so American, so gluttonous, and so disgusting.

It's really sad that this man died, but maybe it will shed some light on competitive eating. This man is not the first person to die of competitive eating. Not by a long shot. In 2008, a Taiwanese student vying to become the "Big Stomach King" died after eating more than two rice- and cheese-filled steamed buns. Others have died from drinking too much water.

It's a dangerous thing to do. Period. Anything can be toxic if you take too much of it.

My heart goes out to this man's family, but if it gets enough publicity, maybe it will end contests like these once and for all.

Have you ever done competitive eating?

 

Image via kickasshtv/YouTube

food safety

10 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

Angie Hayes

You say this is ,"truly, truly awfly way to go and obviously very sad" I don't see how it is awful or sad, guy was a moron. He willingly filled his body full of bugs. I guess they were just getting vengence.

lasombrs lasombrs

Poor man. Might not have been the bugs as gross as it is. Maybe he just wasn't healthy enough to do a contest like that in general and even if it was hotdogs something may have happened. I would think health played a big part. I doubt if they were infected with something he would have instantly died it would have taken time to infect him as well. Poor guy my heart goes out to his family :(

t0vanal t0vanal

Wow Angie Hayes, you're pretty heartless. 

candy... candyw210

Angie Hayes you are a complete moron yourself and a heartless human being. Just because he entered this contest does not make him a moron. Your comment on the other hand makes you one. A person dies and your soulless self is saying he deserved it because he did it to himself. You are a sick pathetic human being. I feel sorry for this poor man and my thoughts and prayers are with his family that they can make it through such a tough time as losing someone so suddenly. And I pray that morons like you Angie Hayes fall off the face of this earth because heartless people like you are useless

Tashinha Tashinha

i agree with angie hayes, i guess im heartless too.

happy... happy41ce

Sad that it happened but these types of bugs can carry all kinds of diseases. It would not be worth it at all..:( I feel bad the man died. Maybe his body just couldn't take the foreign object (ie: bugs) he injested so much of.


 


To answer your question, I have a BAD gag reflex and when I eat too much for some odd reason, I start gagging. So no I have not done any competitive eating because I would lose lol.

Christopher Koulouris

Isn’t it time you choked on a cockroache’s head sometime after supper this evening as you help yourself to some indelible desert…?

http://scallywagandvagabond.com/2012/10/video-florida-man-who-wins-live-roach-eating-contest-dies-shortly-after-event/

babyb... babybirch

Because one of the other contestants became ill and  the man's death was so immediate, I doubt that he died from disease. He more likely had a pre-existing medical problem that he was unaware of.


It is safe to eat insects, although most Western people find it distasteful. It is not uncommon in Asia, South America, and Africa. They are a decent source of protein, and actually taste pretty good fried.

craft... craftycatVT

Eating contests are disgusting and I also don't think animals should ever be given as prizes for anything.

teala... tealafaye

or maybe he was just a dumbass..who does that????


 

1-10 of 10 comments