Well, it happened. Fall is officially here. Well, maybe not officially, as the start of the season is September 22, but it feels like fall. The kids are back in school; temperatures have dropped; and Halloween decorations abound at every drug store. And if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? Let's embrace the season, shall we? At least food-wise. Let's make delicious Apple Spice Cupcakes with Super Sweet Frosting. It's the perfect treat to ease you in to the season -- and the perfect treat to make with the kids!
More from The Stir: Super Girly Funfetti Blondies With Tickle-Me-Pink Frosting
Apple Spice Cupcakes With Cider Cream Cheese Frosting adapted from Epicurious
For the cupcakes
- 3 cups unpasteurized apple cider
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the icing
- 2 cups apple cider
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into bits and softened
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
Make the cupcakes:
1. In a large saucepan boil the cider until it is reduced to about 1 1/2 cups and let it cool. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together the shortening and the sugar until the mixture is fluffy and beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
2. Into the bowl sift together the flour, the cloves, the cinnamon, the baking soda, and a pinch of salt, stir in the reduced cider, and combine the mixture well.
3. Divide the batter among 18 paper-lined 1/2-cup muffin tins and bake the cupcakes in the middle of a preheated 375 F. oven for 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a rack, let them cool in the tins, and remove them from the tins.
Make the icing:
1. In a saucepan boil the cider until it is reduced to about 1/4 cup and let it cool. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat together the cream cheese, the confectioners' sugar, the reduced cider, and a pinch of salt until the icing is smooth.
2. Spread each cupcake with some of the icing.
Hungry? Need dinner ideas? Just love anything and everything food and recipes? Then you'll totally want to follow us on Pinterest! Our virtual pin boards on Kid Friendly Recipes and Sweet Treats are pure eye candy. Yum!
Image via ohmeaghan/Flickr