There is a difference between a chocolate cupcake and a chocolate fudge cupcake. The former is delicious while the latter is legit heaven. And when you add a salted caramel icing to the mix -- a little salty with your sweet -- well, you just take the dessert to another level. I'm serious, these things are inappropriately delicious. Can you think of anything more lovely sounding than Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes With Caramel Icing? You have to try these.
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes With Caramel Icing adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction
1. Start with the frosting by melting the butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, add brown sugar and heavy cream. Stir constantly over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add salt. Allow to bubble for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, until you reach desired consistency.
2. Make the cupcakes. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two 12-cupcake pans with liners. Set aside.
3. Using a stand or hand held electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, milk, and sour cream. Beat until well combined, about 2 minutes.
4. Scoop the batter evenly into cupcake liners. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the tin and let cool.
5. Once fully cooled, frost cupcakes with salted caramel frosting and garnish with a pretzel twist or treat of your choice!
Image via Vegan Feast Catering/Flickr