7 Easy, Healthy Breakfasts to Start the Day Off Right
Now that we're nearing the close of August, we just can't kid ourselves any longer. Summer's about to come to a close, and parents must welcome back the crazy weekday, pre-school rush act. Those early AMs when it feels next to impossible to get a healthy meal on the table for ourselves and the kids in a quick, easy way.
But there's really no reason to dread the hunt for the perfectly fast and nutritious breakfast. Here, a few ideas to help you start your day off on the right bite ...
- Oatmeal - Instant or not, throwing some old-fashioned oats in a bowl with equal parts water and popping it in the microwave is a perfect, filling antidote to a chilly fall morning.
- Frozen whole-grain waffles - Kids of all ages (including my fiance) dig these for a toasty and fast breakfast.
- Banana smeared with peanut (or almond) butter - This is my go-to when there's not a lot of time in the morning. Also tastes super-yummy on toast!
- Muffin tops - Frozen "muffin tops" like VitaTops, which you can warm up in the microwave or toaster, are a quick way to get a lot of fiber and protein in fast without spending lots of time baking.
- Make-ahead frittata - Consider baking up a few of these on a Sunday night, then freezing them. Then, you can heat one up quickly in the morning and poof! -- gourmet b-fast!
- Greek yogurt with fruit and/or high-fiber cereal - Instead of combining cereal with milk, try mixing it into high protein yogurt to keep blood sugar stable longer.
- Quickie morning quesadilla - Mix sharp cheddar with apple slices in a whole grain tortilla for a savory-sweet fix.
More from The Stir: 5 Ways to Get a Delicious Dinner on the Table in 30 Minutes or Less
What's your favorite go-to quick, healthy, easy breakfast?
Image via orchidgalore/Flickr
Piping Hot Posts