If you ask me, we really should be eating more Nutella. Maybe not for breakfast, exactly. But for dessert, definitely. I still do not understand why Oreo has not collaborated with Nutella to make a cookie -- when is this going to happen? Do I have to scrape off that cream filling and make my own?
Well the next best thing to Nutella Oreos would be this Nutella chocolate chip cookie icebox cake. Cake you don't bake! I love it. You're just layering chocolate chip cookies with whipped cream mixed with Nutella. And then you're running five miles because GOOD LORD that's a wickedly decadent cake. Witness the creamy, chocolaty indulgence.
Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookie Icebox Cake, via Food.com
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (13-ounce) jar Nutella
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (or to taste)
- 2 (13-ounce) bags chocolate chip cookies (crunchy, not soft)
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whip the heavy cream until it starts to become thick (not fully whipped).
- Add the entire jar of Nutella and the cocoa powder to the cream, and beat thoroughly. There should be no lumps, and the cream should be whipped. make sure not to over-beat or the cream will separate.
- Briefly dip each cookie in the half cup of milk, then put one layer of chocolate chip cookies on the bottom of an 8x8 inch square pan (fill in holes with pieces on each layer of cookies, doesn't have to be flat or attractive -- just needs to cover the layer. Since you're putting round cookies in a square pan, square off the edges by breaking the cookies in half to line the flat sides against the edge of the pan, then just fill in the rest).
- Layer 1/3 of the cream mixture on top.
- Repeat cookie and cream layers until you finish with the cream on top (there are three layers of cookies and three layers of cream).
- Refrigerate overnight or at least 12 hours (it needs time to soften!).
- This gets better over time, and can be stored for at least a week in the refrigerator -- perfect for a large party to get dessert out of the way far ahead of time!
Image via I Sing In The Kitchen/Flickr