What with all the ice cream you've been eating this summer, I think it's time for some cupcakes. But let's keep it a little summery, okay? Let's bust out some sweet, fluffy vanilla cupcakes with refreshing pink lemonade frosting.
What? Frosting can be refreshing.
Vanilla Cupcakes with Pink Lemonade Frosting adapted from CD Kitchen
For the cupcakes:
For the frosting:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners; set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In another mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated and scraping down sides of bowl, beat in vanilla.
4. Add flour mixture and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl to assure the batter is thoroughly mixed.
5 Divide batter evenly among liners, filling papers about 2/3 full. Bake on the center rack of the oven until tops spring back to touch, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. For Pink Lemonade Frosting: Beat butter in a mixing bowl until it is fluffy. Add 2 c. of the powdered sugar gradually, beating constantly.
7. Slowly beat in lemon juice, lemon peel, vanilla and food coloring. Slowly beat in the rest of the powdered sugar. Add additional food color if desired. If necessary, add a little more lemon juice if frosting is not spreadable.
Image via simple up/Flickr