If you told me I could only eat five desserts for the rest of my life, I'd be crushed. And then I'd start making my list. Right at the top? Twix brownies.
I say this even though they are a brand new discovery. For one, they are just that good. But second, and perhaps more importantly, these brownies aren't just brownies. The recipe incorporates shortbread cookies plus caramels and extra chocolate to make it seem like there's a candy bar in there too. It's like three desserts in one melty, sweet, fudge-y bar.
Check out the recipe, to see if it would make your top five too:
Twix Brownies (adapted from Jasey's Crazy Daisy)
1. Grease bottom of 9x13-inch baking pan. Break cookies down until they're fine, sort of like sand (I used my food processor).
2. Melt 6 Tablespoons butter. Add cookie crumbs, stirring until all crumbs are moist. Press into bottom of prepared pan.
3. Prepare brownie batter. Add hot fudge ice cream topping into brownie batter (don't heat it -- you just take it straight from the jar). Pour batter on top of cookie crust and bake as directed. Cool.
4. Place caramels and cream in a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until caramels are melted smooth and creamy, stirring constantly. Pour over cooled brownies. Try to spread the caramel evenly across the brownie surface while pouring to make spreading easier. Let cool until set.
5. Melt chocolate, remaining butter, and cream together in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until melted and creamy. Pour over cooled caramel layer. Again, cover as much of the brownies as possible while pouring to make spreading easier. Allow to cool and then get eating!
Would you put this in your top five? What else would be on the list?
Image via JudiTK/Flickr