Paula Deen may not have been in any rush to change her eating habits after she was diagnosed with diabetes, but now it seems that the Food Network star has come 'round to eating healthy. She's lost about 30 pounds and attributes her success to eating, er, drinking a delicious and nutritious breakfast. Smoothies are her new thing. The queen of comfort calories is now all about starting off her day right.
And that's all well and good and great for her, but I gotta say, I kind of miss the old days when she didn't give a flying saucer about well-being or clogged arteries and came up with some of the most insanely delicious concoctions this side of the fat farm.
So let's take a trip down butter lane and reminisce about 5 of Paula's most heart-attack inducing recipes.
- Baked French Toast Casserole With Praline Topping. I ate this once and my heart-rate stayed elevated for 24 hours straight after one piece. The sugar rush was insane, but what did I expect from a recipe that calls for two sticks of butter, corn syrup, and an entire loaf of bread?
- The Lady's Brunch Burger. It's a burger with bacon and egg stuffed between two glazed donuts. 'Nuf said.
- Gooey Butter Cake. Just when you thought it couldn't get more buttery, it does.
- Wilmington Island Marsh Mud Cake. Two sticks of butter and two cups of sugar. Stir. Inhale.
- Fried Butter Balls. I MEAN COME ON.
We're all happy that Paula's feeling great and looking great too, but I'm gonna miss some of her over-the-top recipes. Guess there aren't anymore where those came from. Now it's all smoothies and b.s. like that. Oh well. Everything in moderation, I suppose.
Do you have a favorite Paula Deen recipe?
Photo via Blowing Puffer Fish/Flickr