Obviously this needed to happen. Someone had to invent Banana Split Cupcakes. Here's what's going on with these babies. You're mixing mashed bananas, maraschino cherries, and chocolate chips into yellow cake batter and baking that. Then you're combining marshmallow creme (you know, fluff) with vanilla frosting. And a cherry on top. Ta-da!
These would be awesome for a birthday party, but you could also make them just for no reason this weekend. Fluffy, banana-cherry yum.
Banana Split Cupcakes via TLC's How Stuff Works
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup chopped drained maraschino cherries
- 1 1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 1/2 cups prepared vanilla frosting
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 30 whole maraschino cherries, drained and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 30 standard (2-1/2-inch) muffin pan cups with paper baking cups.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons cake mix. Combine remaining cake mix, water, bananas, and eggs in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at low speed about 30 seconds or until moistened. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Combine chopped cherries and reserved cake mix in small bowl. Stir chopped cherry mixture and 1 cup chocolate chips into batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes to racks; cool completely.
- Combine frosting and marshmallow creme in medium bowl until well blended. Frost cupcakes.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips and shortening in small microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 30 to 45 seconds, stirring after 30 seconds, or until smooth. Drizzle chocolate mixture over cupcakes. Place one whole cherry on each cupcake.
Note: If desired, omit chocolate drizzle and top cupcakes with colored sprinkles.
Image via tawest64/Flickr