Severed Finger Found in Arby's Sandwich By Hungry, Unlucky Boy

OMG 15

arby'sA gutsy 14-year-old boy in Michigan really knows his digits. When Ryan Hart bit into an Arby's roast beef sandwich (good call, buddy, those things are delish), he knew right away that the bizarre texture he was experiencing wasn't the typical yummy goodness of undercooked cow. He told the local newspaper that he instantly thought "that's gotta be a finger," and boy, was he sorry to learn he was right.

Apparently, an Arby's employee cut her finger clean off in the meat slicer and headed straight for the emergency room. Thing is, no one really noticed she left, or what had happened, and they continued filling orders. That's when Ryan found out the true meaning of "finger lickin' good" and I'd venture to guess it did not taste like good mood food.

Ryan's mom says he's traumatized by the incident and can't eat or sleep, and man, I don't know if I can blame the poor kid. Eating someone's recently severed finger is not very appetizing.

Then again, he now has an incredible story to share with all the kids at the lunch table. "And then? I was biting into it? And I was like, holy shit, that's a finger!" The lunch crowd will erupt in "eeeews" and "aaaahs" and Ryan's instantly a hero for being the first cannibal in class history.

Arby's issued a requisite statement reassuring customers that they're committed to safety and that this was a totally fluke accident and there's nothing to worry about.

Fine. You guys stay "not worried" but I'm adding Arby's to my list of "Places to Avoid if You Don't-a Like-a the Finger Foods." Currently, the only other establishment on my list is Joey Brooklyn's in St. Petersburg, Florida.

I'm alarmed that the list is actually growing.

What's the grossest thing you've ever found in your food?

 

Photo via ceiling/Flickr

eating out, food safety

15 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

JAFE JAFE

The grossest thing I've ever seen was a bug or beetle of some kind which is kind of normal but this would make me quit eating out FOREVER. That poor kid and the dumb employee for not saying anything or getting help from someone. Just taking off was just plain stupid.

ReiRe... ReiReally

I would be traumatized, too. No one wants to be the person who finds out this kind of thing with their mouth.

It takes the whole "what's worse than finding a worm in your apple-- finding half a worm in your apple" joke to a level only Internet lurkers would entertain.

ReiRe... ReiReally

Also, why wouldn't she try to take the finger with her to reattach it if she was in such a hurry? That would seem like the logical thing to do.

dreamsky dreamsky

Ewwwwwwwwww. Poor kid. Yuck, gross!

Noell... Noelle1210

Worst thing I've ever found in my food was a used band aid in my salad from Steak n Shake.


From what I understand, Arby's immediately threw out the meat once they found out and sanatized everything.  It's unfortunate and gross and I'll never know why the girl left without telling anyone why (which is standard procedure, for crying out loud).  But I don't think it's the end of the world, either.  Nor is it worth a lawsuit, which apparently the mom is thinking about.

Amy Knoch

I'd like for all of you to line up and hack off your finger, and then see how logical you are when you're in shock.  *eyeroll*tsk tsk

Claire Smith

Sorry,, but the "eater" runs a lot of risk from the blood from the donor "finger".  I would be getting every test known to man and also you bet your ass I would sue.  I would never trust a sandwhich I didn't see made in my life.  Do you realize how traumatic this could be?

Lissa Bowen Garver

The kid will be traumatized till the first check from the lawsuit is cashed.

Joan Neville Buffa

the manager should have had the sense to take the finger, they attach them all the time, this was gross negligence.

nonmember avatar Rochelle

Checked snopes and couldn't find any validity to this story.. Gross but more than likely not true

1-10 of 15 comments 12 Last