Every once in a while -- not always -- desserts aren't all about chocolate. Every once in a while they're about fruit. Well, fruit with sugar and caramel in the form of a pie. And it's glorious, because you can kind of trick yourself into thinking you're eating something somewhat healthy.
You guys, it's time. It's time for a Caramel Apple Pie. Yeah, yeah, I know, caramels and apples aren't typically on your mind during the warmer months. But let me ask you this: Are delicious, easy-to-make things?
Caramel Apple Pie adapted from All Recipes
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust deep dish pie
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups thinly sliced apples
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 20 caramels, halved
- 2 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. To Make Taffy: In a small bowl combine brown sugar, melted butter or margarine, and 1/3 cup flour. Mix well and set aside.
3. To Make Apple Filling: Place apples in a large bowl. Add white sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Toss until all ingredients are mixed well and apples are thoroughly coated.
4. Spoon half of apple filling into pastry-lined deep-dish pan. Top with half of caramels and half of taffy mixture. Repeat process with remaining apple filling, caramels and taffy mixture. Place top pastry over filling and seal well. Cut steam vents and brush top crust with milk or light cream.
5. Cover pie with foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil from pie and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is golden. Serve warm.
Image via Greg Beglarov/Flickr