With the holidays just around the corner, we're all searching for new cookie recipes. I mean, sure, a classic chocolate chip is hard to top, but it's kind of expected, don't you think?
Enter the Caramel Thumbprint Cookie. It's sugary, nutty crunch is the perfect compliment to the sweet, moist caramel explosion inside. Best served warm with a cold glass of milk, this no-fail recipe is guaranteed to give the chocolate chip a run for its money.
Nutty Caramel Thumbprint Cookies from Fine Cooking
For the Cookies:
For the Caramel Filling:
To make the cookies:
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350. Line two cookie sheets with parchment or nonstick baking liners.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a large mixing bowl using a hand-held electric mixer, beat the butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and salt on medium speed until well blended and smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and beater. Add the flour and mix on low speed until a soft dough forms, about 1 minute.
3. Using two teaspoon measures, scoop up about two tsp. of dough at a time, and using your palms, roll into smooth balls that are 1 to 1-1/4 inches in diameter. Arrange them about 1-1/2 inches apart on the lined cookie sheets. Using the back of a 1/2 tsp. measure, press down into the middle of each mound to make a well that is almost as deep as the dough ball. (If the edges crack or break open, it’s best to reroll and try again -- the finished cookie will look better and hold the caramel without leaking).
4. Bake one sheet at a time until the tops of the cookies look dry and the edges are golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
Make the caramel filling:
1. In a small saucepan, combine the unwrapped caramels and heavy cream. Set the pan over very low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the caramels have melted and the mixture is smooth, 4 to 6 minutes. Use the caramel while warm.
2. Arrange the cooled cookies on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Using a small spoon or spatula, drizzle the warm caramel into each indentation, filling to the rim but not overflowing. Scatter the nuts over the caramel and press lightly into the caramel. Cool completely before storing or serving.
Image via snowpea&bokchoy/Flickr