If you are the proud owner of a waffle maker, then I have a confession to make: I'm completely jealous of you. Waffles -- with all their nooks and crannies -- are one of those breakfast treats I crave constantly. But, as my kitchen is too tiny to store such an apparatus, I have to make do with ordering them at the little brunch place in my neighborhood or, better yet, bribing my best friend: I make waffles for us if she lets me come over to use her maker.
This recipe for Pumpkin Gingerbread Waffles is one of our favorites. Warm gingerbread spices and pumpkin puree give it a hint of the changing seasons, which is perfect paired with espresso or a mug of hot chocolate. With such strong flavors, I recommend simple toppings -- a glug of real maple syrup and a pat of butter should do it!
Pumpkin Gingerbread Waffles from Shape
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1.5 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, stir together all dry ingredients (flour to brown sugar).
2. In another bowl, mix wet ingredients (egg to vanilla extract).
3. Stir together both mixtures.
4. Make waffles according to the directions on your waffle maker.
Image via Mr. T in DC/Flickr