With Thanksgiving coming up, there's bound to be some apple pie in your future. And that's a good thing, because, well, apple pie is delicious. But ... everybody knows that everything's better in cupcake form. And everybody knows that apple pie is always better with a little caramel sauce. I think you know where I'm going with this ...
Frosted apple pie cupcakes with caramel sauce drizzled on top. They're not hard to make, particularly with the store-bought filling, and they taste like a gooey, cinnamony dream. And best of all, they're in cupcake form!
Apple Pie Cupcakes With Caramel Frosting from Just Putzing Around the Kitchen
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. Heat milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Remove from heat.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
4. In a separate, large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick ribbons form, about 5 minutes. Add dry ingredients and mix until just until incorporated.
5. Add milk mixture and vanilla, then mix until blended.
6. Divide evenly among baking tins, about 1/4 cup per tin.
7. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
8. When cupcakes are cool, use a cupcake corer or spoon to scoop a hole out of the center of each cupcake. Fill each hole with as much apple pie filling as it can handle.
9. Using an electric mixer, beat whip cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Transfer into a piping bag with star tip, and frost each cupcake.
10. Dip a fork into your caramel sauce, and drizzle caramel on top of each cupcake. The more the better!
Image via shimelle/Flickr