As the Halloween countdown continues, more and more pumpkins are being prepared for some serious carving. Whether you use creative pumpkin carving patterns or just do your own thing, there's one important rule: Save the seeds! Pumpkin seeds are one of the best treasures of the season.
Versatile and tasty, there are plenty of twists you can take with them. Here are five of my favorite pumpkin seed recipes. Like pumpkin seed pesto to start with ...
1. Talk about the perfect fall meal, this pesto recipe from Country Living is as delicious as it is festive. Serve it over whole wheat pasta before trick or treating to make sure your little ghosts and goblins have something good and hearty in their stomachs before all the sugar hits.
Pumpkin Seed Pesto
Combine the pumpkin seeds, Parmesan, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until the seeds are finely ground -- about 30 seconds.
Add the basil, parsley, lemon juice, and lemon zest and pulse in the olive oil until the herbs are chopped and olive oil is just incorporated.
Serve immediately, refrigerate for up to two days, or freeze for up to two months until ready to use.
2. Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Clusters Not that you need any more sugar, but these are better than any packaged candy any day.
3. Cinnamon Pumpkin Seed Brittle Yummy, crunchy, and sweet, this paired with an afternoon cup of coffee is divine.
4. Pumpkin Seed Bread Pumpkin seeds give a nice, nutty crunch to this savory bread. It's perfect served with a hearty soup.
5. Spicy Pumpkin Seeds These make a great snack and are perfect for serving at fall parties. Watch out though, they're addictive.
What are your favorite ways to use pumpkin seeds?