It's peanut butter jelly time! (Remember that Internet meme with the dancing banana??! Ha, OMG! So cheeeesy!) But no, really, how often do you just crave something so simple and sweet and perfect as PB&J? I feel like there are so many warm and fuzzy memories attached to that one combo for so many of us that the classic sandwich is very often a go-to comfort food. Seriously, my boyfriend -- who, like most men, is still about 8 years old at heart -- would literally LIVE on PB&J if he had his way!
But sometimes you wanna jazz it up a bit, right? Maybe bake an entire CAKE devoted to the classic, sweet nut spread and its fruity partner in crime? If that sounds delectable, then this recipe is definitely for you.
Quick and Easy Peanut Butter and Jelly Cake from Hersheys.com
- 1 package (about 18 oz.) white cake mix
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam (could also do strawberry or grape, if you prefer)
- 1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) peanut butter chips (like REESE'S)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Prepare cake as directed on package for two 9-inch layers. Slice each layer in half horizontally to form two layers. Place one layer on serving plate; spread 1/4 cup jam over top. Repeat with remaining layers, ending with plain layer on top.
- Stir together peanut butter chips and milk in medium saucepan. Heat through, stirring constantly, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Cool until slightly thickened.
- Beat whipping cream with electric mixer until stiff; gradually blend into peanut butter mixture. If necessary, cool until of spreading consistency.
- Frost top and sides of cake. Makes 12 servings.
Image via Hersheys.com