The words "picky eaters" and "kids" are almost synonymous, don't you think? One day, your kiddo loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as much as they adore Selena Gomez, and the next, they wouldn't touch any sandwich with a 10-foot pole. Understandably, a predicament like this may make it pretty tough now that school's back in session. Why would your little one actually WANT to eat the easiest, quickest thing you could make them in the morning? That would make things just a little too simple right?
Not to worry, mis amigas. There are plenty of alternatives out there. Take a look at these 5 great lunch suggestions for kids who hate sandwiches:
1. Yogurt with all the fix-ins: I know, most people hear yogurt and they think breakfast or snack time. But bigger-size portions can totally be a satisfying and hearty meal. Try choosing Greek yogurt, which provides protein, topped with grated apple, walnuts, strawberries, and honey. Snag the honey packets from your local coffee shop and avoid the mess!
2. Pitas: I know what you're thinking, but pitas are NOT sandwiches. Totally different. Okay, fine, so they are sort of similar. But using a pita pocket and simply changing the shape of the sandwich may fool your child into enjoying it.
3. Raw veggies and pita chips with hummus: Slice up vegetables of different colors. This way, your little one will enjoy looking at the lunch while eating it. Most of the calories here come from the hummus, and the crunchy chips make it fun!
4. Pasta salad: Make summer last months longer by giving your child pasta salad in that lunch box. Sneak some protein in there by cubing up turkey and provolone cheese, and finish off with a variety of your favorite veggies.
5. Burrito: Use this great trick to keep a burrito toasty straight until lunch: Fill a thermos with boiling water and let it sit in there for about 10 minutes or so. Then dump out the water and replace it with the aluminum foil-wrapped burrito. You (and your child) will be pleasantly surprised when lunch is still warm hours later!
What are your kids' favorite lunches?
Image via gkdavie/Flickr