Do you crave cake-like doughnuts but can't bear ingesting all those calories and fat? This recipe for Doughnut Muffins will make all your dreams come true. It's the same lovely taste of a doughnut -- it just skips the frying step. A dusting of cinnamon-sugar on top adds just a touch of sweetness. Doesn't this -- plus a cappuccino and the newspaper -- sound like the perfect way to spend a weekend morning?
Doughnut Muffins from King Arthur Flour
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin tin or line with 12 paper muffin cups.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth.
3. Add the eggs, beating to combine.
4. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
5. Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
6. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full.
7. Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they're a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
8. Remove them from the oven, and let them cool for a couple of minutes or until you can handle them. While they're cooling, melt the butter for the topping (this is easily done in the microwave).
9. Use a pastry brush to paint the top of each muffin with the butter, then sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar. Or simply dip the tops of the muffins into the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon-sugar.
Image via land_camera_land_camera/Flickr