There are very few foods in life that kids crave more than PB and J. Is it really even necessary to suggest alternatives?
The simple fact of the matter is that variety in a diet is healthy, so if you can get them to eat other things for lunch, all the better. We can't promise the following items are as tasty as everyone's favorite peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but at least they'll provide a little inspiration to shake up your lunch routine. Here are eight alternatives to the classic PB and J:
1. Plain grilled cheese is almost as classic as peanut butter and jelly; make it interesting by adding a little bacon and sliced fresh tomatoes.
2. Spread Nutella on toast and top with sliced bananas.
3. For a healthier version of #2, swap almond butter and a drizzle of honey for the Nutella.
4. Make turkey pinwheels with a flour tortilla spread with cream cheese, deli turkey slices, lettuce, and tomato.
5. Spread a whole wheat tortilla with hummus, top with grated raw carrot, and roll up.
6. This wrap idea is Mexican-inspired: Top a tortilla with shredded rotisserie chicken and salsa and roll tight.
7. Lunch doesn't always have to be a sandwich: Try turkey pepperoni, cheese, and crackers.
8. Make a pizza pita stuffed with tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, and a few veggies.
What's your favorite alternative to PB & J?
Image via Yogma/Flickr