I dare you to find somebody who doesn't like ice cream sandwiches. Dare you, I say! I mean, what's not to like, right? It's two of the world's greatest desserts combined into one. It's a mega-dessert. And everybody wins when they eat one.
But have you ever tried making your own ice cream sandwiches? Really, it's very simple, and it's the perfect thing to do with the kids.
You can either go the super simple route: Buy ready-made ice cream, cookies, and of course, sprinkles and chocolate chips for good measure. Or you can go the (slightly) more labor-intensive one: Bake your own cookies. (If you're completely mad, and own an ice cream maker, you can make that fresh, too!)
Here is my favorite version of the classic ice-cream sandwich. Enjoy! And let me know yours!
(Chocolate Chip Cookie & Vanilla) Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
3. Beat margarine, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl
until creamy. Add applesauce and oil, beating well after each addition.
4. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
5. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for two minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
6. Once completely cooled, place one scoop of vanilla ice cream between two cookies*.
7. Eat as is or dip ice cream into chocolate chips, coconut, sprinkles, whatever!
*Yes, these are vegan cookies. Trust me, they are the are just as good, if not better, than the ones with butter and eggs. I prefer these with ice cream sandwiches because they're the tiniest bit lighter than "regular" ones, and it's a nice juxtaposition against the rich ice cream.
Image via arnold I inuyaki/Flickr