Fact: During the summer, everybody eats more salads. And that's a good thing! Be it because we're trying to stay in bikini bod form, or we just like the cool crunch of lettuce and other veggies, salads are where it's at when the weather heats up.
But they can get boring.
Really boring. How many times can you eat a Waldorf or a Chicken Caesar in a span of three months? Enter the Grilled Shrimp and Strawberry salad. It's hearty, it's tangy, it takes no time to make. But most importantly, it's delicious.
Grilled Shrimp and Strawberry Salad from New Orleans Food
- 2 cups baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- 2 cups arugula, rinsed and dried
- 2 cups strawberries (about 1 pt), hulled and sliced
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 3 tbsp pecans, toasted and chopped
- 2 small green onions, sliced
- 1 lb shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tbsp honey mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Combine all salad ingredients (except shrimp) in a large bowl. Toss gently.
2. Make the dressing: Whisk the vinegar and mustard together in a small bowl; slowly whisk in olive oil. Add basil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill the shrimp using either your outdoor grill, or with oil on your stove-top grill. When hot, add shrimp and grill 3 to 4 minutes on each side until slightly charred and cooked through. Remove from heat.
4. Divide salad among 4 plates. Arrange grilled shrimp on top.
5. Drizzle dressing over each and serve.
Image via purdman1/Flickr