Want to know a little secret? No matter my age, I'll always love funfetti. There's nothing better than biting into funfetti cake and seeing all of the bright colors. I'm sure your kids agree with me! It's a fact that bright sprinkles make plain white and yellow cakes about 1,000 times yummier.
Wow your family with a from-scratch take of a classic boxed cake. These homemade funfetti cupcakes are the perfect, easy-to-make dessert. And afternoon snack. And breakfast ...
Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes from Jessica at How Sweet It Is:
For the cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup assorted colored sprinkles
For the frosting:
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/12 cups powdered sugar
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 tablespoon of milk (optional)
1. Beat sugar and butter in a bowl using an electric mixer for about 3 minutes, or until fluffy. Then, add in the vanilla and eggs and beat until well mixed.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add half of your dry ingredient mixture to your butter bowl, then add the 1/2 cup milk and mix. Add remaining dry ingredients, fold in the sprinkles, and mix until batter reaches desirable consistency.
3. Fill cupcake tins 2/3 way full, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool.
4. For the frosting, cream butter until completely smooth, then add in powdered sugar slowly. Gradually increase the speed of your mixer, add the vanilla, and beat for an additional 2 or three minutes. This is where the milk comes in. If the frosting is too thick, then milk is a great way to thin it out. If it's too thin to start with, then use sugar, instead.
5. Frost your cupcakes, dust with a few more sprinkles, and enjoy!
Image via How Sweet it Is