Summer is the time for fresh berry pies, and now that we're almost in the height of blackberry season, there's no better time than ever to try this recipe for Fresh Blackberry Pie. Blackberries are so much more unexpected than ordinary strawberries and blueberries, and the oozy purple color just takes your breath away. Serve with a scoop of real vanilla ice cream -- cheat on your diet just this once! -- and you've got the perfect summer dessert.
Fresh Blackberry Pie a la Mode adapted from Food.com
- Pie dough for top and bottom crust, either homemade or store-bought
- 5 cups fresh blackberries, washed, drained, and dry
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Combine berries, sugar, and cornstarch in bowl until all sugar and cornstarch is taken up in the berries.
- Spoon berry mixture into unbaked pie shell; top with remaining crust; seal and crimp the edges.
- Beat egg white and brush it onto pie surface. Sprinkle with sugar. Cut vents in crust.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees, and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Image via Carolyn.Will/Flickr