5 Moldy Foods That Are Safe to Eat (No Promises as to How They Will Taste)

25

blue cheeseOrdinarily, the news that some moldy foods are safe to eat wouldn't be all that exciting. But with food prices going through the roof, it's a relief to know that a little bit of mold on food doesn't always mean the whole is spoiled and should be discarded. Here are five moldy foods that are safe to eat, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. (As to whether moldy food tastes good -- you're on your own with that one.)

-Obviously, there are some blue-veined cheeses -- Roquefort, blue, Gorgonzola, and Stilton are all coming to mind -- that are made with mold and are, therefore, safe to eat. However, if you see surface mold on the cheeses above, you must cut off mold at least 1 inch around and below the mold spot before consuming; then, re-cover the cheese in fresh wrap.

-Similar handling (trimming and re-wrapping) should be used if surface mold is found on hard cheeses like most cheddars, aged-Gouda, Pecorino, Parmigiana-Reggiano, and Swiss. The reasoning here is that the mold can't penetrate very far into the cheese because it's so dense and hard.

-It's usually normal for some shelf-stable hard salami varieties as well as dry-cured ham to have surface mold: Just scrub it off before eating.

-It's very difficult for mold to penetrate into firm vegetables with low moisture content, like cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, and peppers. If you see mold on these items, cut off at least 1 inch around and below the mold spot -- keep the knife out of the mold itself so it will not cross-contaminate other parts of the produce.

-The same reasoning in No. 3 applies to firm fruits including apples and pineapple. Carefully trim away, then enjoy!

Always, always, always discard foods like hot dogs, poultry, bacon, cakes, breads, and yogurt if they develop mold -- it could be harmful, and it's just not worth the risk.

Do you cut mold off food and eat the rest, or do you just throw the whole thing away?

 

Image via StuartWebster/Flickr

food, food safety, adult parties

25 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

Veronica Hudon

I want to buy some cheeeeessee! 

STRAW... STRAWBERRYRAIN

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm no if its got mold its going in the trash. but food doesnt usually last around here long enough to grow mold anyways.

AMom29 AMom29

Throw it away.  


I hate Blue Cheese.  If my husband eats any, I won't even get near him 'cause I can't stand the smell.  Gross.

k.stark k.stark

of fruits we give them to the birds.. cheese we cut the mold.. sometimes....... and everything else goes in teh trash!!!

nonmember avatar GiaGiraffe

Trim the mold off. It's totally safe if you handel it properly.

nonmember avatar FartsOnFire

We don't keep food long enough to get moldy. Even if we did, it would go in the trash. Just the thought of eating something that I just sliced mold off of is enough to make me lose my appetite.

nonmember avatar FartsOnFire

We don't keep food long enough to get moldy. Even if we did, it would go in the trash. Just the thought of eating something that I just sliced mold off of is enough to make me lose my appetite.

Rose Savoie

I've always done that for cheeses, but never knew it was safe with some fruits and veggies.  Good to know I don't need to waste as much food :) 

Kersten Kersten

I was surprised that breads weren't in the safe category.  Not that I eat moldy bread, just that if some foods you can cut away the mold on, I thought bread would be one!

nonmember avatar kalmmom

No - I throw it out as my son is allergic to molds so no foods that are made that way or not.

1-10 of 25 comments 123 Last