Obviously, ice cream sundaes are an irresistible treat any time of the year. But they're particularly delectable during the summer months because you can take advantage of all the fresh, seasonal ingredients available. Plus, ice cream just tastes better when it's hot and sticky outside -- wouldn't you agree?
Here are 15 of our favorite ways to make a summertime sundae. What are you waiting for? Grab a spoon and dig in!
1. Peaches and cream is a classic combo: Brush peaches with olive oil, sprinkle with brown sugar, and grill. Serve with vanilla ice cream and real whipped cream.
2. Buy fresh cherries at the farmers' market, pit, and serve over chocolate chip ice cream with chocolate sauce.
3. Caffeine addicts will love the sophistication of cold-brewed iced coffee poured over vanilla ice cream with toasted almonds sprinkled on top.
4. Is there's anything more summery than raspberries? Add 1/3 cup sugar to 1 pint washed, sliced berries; heat mixture in saucepan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Cool. Serve with chocolate ice cream and whipped cream.
5. Crumble pound cake over vanilla ice cream and top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream -- and you've got a strawberry shortcake sundae!
6. Squeeze fresh blueberries with a bit of fresh lemon juice. Then serve over mint chocolate chip ice cream.
7. Grilled bananas are a classic summer treat. Serve with your favorite flavor of ice cream or yogurt and hot fudge.
8. Make a Mudslide Sundae with brownie bottom, coffee-flavored ice cream in the middle, and whipped cream and cherry on top.
9. Ever had a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sundae? It's ice cream topped with crunchy peanut butter, the raspberry sauce from No. 4 above, and crushed peanuts.
10. You can't go wrong with Caramel-Apple Sundaes: sliced Granny Smith apples, hot caramel sauce, and ice cream.
11. Top cake-batter flavored ice cream with grilled pineapples and maraschino cherries and you've got yourself a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Sundae.
12. Like strawberry lemonade? Try mimicking the flavor with lemon sorbet and strawberry sauce and maybe some Vanilla Wafers crumbled over top for crunch.
13. No sundae list is complete without the Turtle Sundae: Ice cream, chocolate syrup, caramel topping, and chopped nuts. Mmmm.
14. If you've got a craving for key lime pie, try ice cream with a shot of key lime juice and graham crackers crumbled over top.
15. Everyone will be asking for some more S'mores Sundaes: Toast marshmallows over the grill, then combine with chocolate ice cream, chocolate sauce, and graham cracker crumbles.
What's your favorite way to make a summertime sundae?
Image via stevendepolo/Flickr