We're not talking about Burger King's lame attempt at a Steakhouse Burger. We're talking about the honest-to-goodness real thing that you -- yes, you! -- can create in your own kitchen/backyard.
So, how do you get a homemade burger to taste like it came from a fancy-schmancy steakhouse? You use decadent, high-quality ingredients and steak seasoning, of course. The recipe is similar to an ordinary burger recipe -- with a few minor tweaks. With a little practice on the grill, you can perfect that great steakhouse char. Then, add fancy toppings like fried or caramelized onions, expensive Swiss or cheddar cheese, and bacon on a sesame bun. You'll never go back to plain old burgers after this.
- 1.5 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce (like A-1) or 3 tablespoons steak seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Combine all ingredients in bowl using hands to mix -- don't over-mix!
- Loosely form burger patties.
- From Beach Guy, here's how to obtain the char marks: Turn grill as high as it can go. Once hot, turn one half of grill down to medium. Place patties on hot side -- it will sizzle and smoke and that's a good thing because it means it's getting dark char marks. Close grill and cook for 2-3 minutes. Without flipping, move burgers to cooler side of grill to cook for 1-2 minutes. Then move burgers over to the hot side again -- flipping them over this time. Cook for a few minutes. Move back to cooler side to finish -- about 4 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add toppings. Swoon in burger ecstasy.
Image via j_bary/Flickr