Hopefully by this point in the summer you've fired up your grill more than a time or two (or 200?). Yes, grill season is in full swing, and July 4th just ups the game. Across the country families are gathering to celebrate Independence Day, and besides the fireworks, the BBQ food is the star of the show.
As great as grilling is, however, sometimes you may find yourself in a rut, making the same things over and over for each get together you attend. Your staples may be great, but everyone can use some new inspiration and an infusion of new dishes to add to the BBQ banquet once in awhile. Besides you don't want to be known as Aunt Potato Salad forever.
Here are five dishes that are perfect for any family barbecue.
1. Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Couscous First up is a dish I probably rely on a little too often, but it's the perfect side dish for burgers, steaks, or anything you grill up. I have no idea where I first got the recipe, but my copy is dog-eared as I use it so often.
- 2 cups diced tomato
- 3/4 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl, cover, and marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes.
Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cool, and toss with tomato mixture.
2. Grilled Fruit Kabobs Just a little bit of honey and delicious ripe fruit make these a refreshing, nutritious, and delicious treat that everyone will love. Plus, they're just so pretty.
3. Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza If you're in charge of the main course, you don't have to always go with the traditional burgers, hot dogs, or steaks. Pizza on the grill is amazing, and loved by all. This chicken version is incredible.
4.Potato Salad Okay, so you have to have potato salad at BBQs, but you don't always have to have the same kind. Here are eight varieties of the carb-loaded goodness to help you spice up your spuds a bit.
5. Easy Eclair Dessert For a sweet ending, this dish is perfect to feed a crowd. It requires no baking (i.e. no heating up your house), and kids and adults alike love it.
What are your favorite dishes to bring to family barbecues?
Image via alisdair/Flickr