Summer is here, which means you've got lots of cookouts, picnics, and beach outings in your future. And I've got the perfect thing for you to make and take. Pasta Salad is nutritious, delicious, and it fills you up.
I love this particular recipe because it seems kind of fancy -- even though it's super easy to make -- and people are always impressed. And most importantly, it's yummy! I'm not sure where I originally got it -- it's handwritten in my recipe pile -- but I'm sure whoever came up with it won't mind my sharing.
Pasta Salad with Asparagus, Tomato & Mozzarella
- 1 1/2 lb asparagus stems peeled if tough and ends trimmed
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1/2 lb fresh Mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- 1 bunch of scallions, sliced thinly
- 2 dozen ripe cherry tomatoes, cut in half and drained for 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 lightly toasted cup pine-nuts
- large handful lightly chopped fresh basil
- Bring pasta to a boil.
- Add the asparagus and blanch it until just tender (3 minutes).
- Scoop the asparagus from the water with a strainer spoon and place in a colander. Run cold water over it, then drain. Slice into small pieces on the diagonal.
- Bring the water back to a rapid boil and cook the penne until just al dente.
- In a large serving bowl, add pasta, asparagus and remaining ingredients. Toss well. Taste for seasoning (add salt and pepper as desired).
Serve (room temperature) and enjoy!
What's your favorite pasta salad recipe?
Image via saragoldsmith/Flickr