We're all looking for yummy recipes to grill over Memorial Day Weekend. Instead of the usual burger and hot dog spread, why not try grilling pizza for something a little different?
This recipe channels the ubiquitously popular BBQ Chicken Pizza at California Pizza Kitchen. Smoky chicken breast and red onion give this pizza tons of flavor. And when you make it on the grill, the crust gets all charred and crispy and the cheese all bubbly and caramelized. There's only one thing to say: Mmmm.
Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, plus 1/4 cup
- Pizza crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella, fontina, or gouda cheese OR 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1. In large skillet, heat oil. Add chicken and 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and saute until just cooked through -- about 7 minutes.
2. Roll out dough. Brush olive oil on one side, and turn that side down onto a hot grill. Brush the side that is face up with olive oil. When the bottom side is golden brown, flip.
3. Spoon 1/4 cup barbecue sauce over dough, covering within 1" of the edge of the crust. Top with chicken, red onion, and cheese.
4. Grill pizza until cheese is bubbly. Remove from grill. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Image via thebittenword.com/Flickr