I have my older sister to thank for my Congo bar addiction. I love them! Why have a flat, circular cookie when you can bite into the soothing goodness of a thick, warm, and chocolaty Congo bar. The texture sets this dessert apart from the rest, and they're really easy to make. But be careful, if you're anything like me, you'll find these scrumptious treats too good to resist, and you'll make them every week.
Makes 35 bars, each one has about 167 calories.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt shortening, stir in brown sugar. Let cool.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Add chocolate chips, nuts and vanilla.
- Pour in 10 x 15-inch pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.
Photo via Gudlfy