Looking for a way to fool the family today? First, serve them dinner. Then, say you're going to bring out the evening's tasty dessert -- and walk into the dining room with a plate full of golden crispy chicken nuggets! Wha????
After all the whining dies down, you can explain that the faux chicken nuggets are actually made from frozen pound cake and a few pre-made fix-ins. Taste it, you'll like it!
Faux chicken nuggets recipe from TasteofHome.com:
For the nuggets:
- 1 loaf of thawed frozen pound cake
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 2 cups finely chopped salted peanuts
For the dipping sauce:
- 2 teaspoons dark corn syrup
- 2 snack-size cups of vanilla pudding
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
1. Cut your pound cake into 12 slices. Halve each slice, and then shape into irregular chicken nugget formations and set off to the side.
2. Combine the water, confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, and butter in a bowl. Using a low speed, beat the ingredients until smooth. Then, dip the "nuggets" into the glaze and roll in peanuts. Let set.
3. Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a small serving dish and serve alongside your "chicken." Enjoy!
Image via rvazda/Flickr