Cake Boss Buddy Valastro has traded in his pastry bags for chef's knives, part-time, on his new TLC cooking show Kitchen Boss. His mantra? That cooking should be easy, enjoyable, and involve family. And what better way to bring the family together (and get the kids to eat their veggies) than Buddy's recipe for stuffed eggplant.
Using only 8 ingredients, this Italian classic showcases Valastro's ability to switch from sweet to savory without hesitation. Mangia!
Stuffed eggplant from the Kitchen Boss:
- 3 baby eggplants
- 1 pound diced mortadella (Italian sausage)
- 1 ball mozzarella, diced (about a pound)
- 1 clove chopped/pressed garlic
- 3 whole canned tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup chopped parsley
Directions: 1. Preheat your over to 375 degrees F. Horizontally slice the baby eggplants in half. Then, hollow out the insides using a spoon, saving the insides of the eggplant. This will create a cavity which you will stuff later on.
2. Combine the mortadella, mozzarella, garlic, tomatoes, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, 2 eggs, and the eggplant innards in a large bowl. After the ingredients are combined, stir in 1/2 cup of the chopped parsley until well mixed.
3. Back to your eggplant shells. Stuff each one with mounding spoonfuls of the tomato/eggplant mixture. Top each of the halves with some of the remaining Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake until the filling is hot and the eggplant is cooked, roughly 15 to 20 minutes. Then garnish with remaining parsley and serve warm.
Image via joshp/Flickr