What's the first thing you think of when you hear the words: Turkey burger? Definitely a hot woman in a bikini eating one, right?
Probably not, but that's exactly how CKE Restaurants, parent to Carl's Jr. and Hardee's fast food chains, is marketing its latest menu addition: the under-500-calorie turkey burger.
Apparently, the only way to get men to eat a turkey burger is to bombard them with images of a half-naked beauty queen. And, frankly, I'm not even so sure that's going to work ...
It may seem strange that the fast-food chain infamous for the 1,400-calorie Monster Burger would add something as healthy as a charbroiled turkey burger to its permanent menu -- and become the first national fast-food chain to do so! But what's even stranger is that the marketing campaign behind the new product is entirely targeted to men.
For one thing, the new line of turkey burgers was created in collaboration with the editors of Men’s Health and the creators of the Eat This, Not That book series -- two bestselling men's publications. The Miss Turkey bikini ad was obviously created with men in mind (no self-respecting woman would ever believe she could look like Gizem Memic by eating fast food). And, CKE Restaurants CEO Andy Puzder even told USA Today that the new turkey burgers are specifically targeted to 18- to 34-year-old males.
There’s a shift in eating habits among young, hungry men ... They’re still looking for indulgent foods, but they want them more healthful.
Why is there no mention of women anywhere?
I suspect it's because for most females, turkey burgers are an easy sell. Many women would automatically opt for the turkey option because they know it's a leaner, healthier choice. They might even be excited to try it! But the men? Well, they need much more convincing. And I'm not so sure a bikini ad is going to be enough to convert them from beef to turkey -- at least not the men I know.
I may poke fun at the marketing strategy, but I'm definitely not laughing about the new line of turkey burgers -- they sound absolutely delicious!
- Turkey Burger (available at Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s) with turkey patty, ketchup, mayonnaise, lettuce, red onion, tomato, and dill pickle chips.
- Teriyaki Turkey Burger (available at Carl’s Jr.) with teriyaki sauce, grilled pineapple, Swiss cheese, red onion, tomato, and lettuce.
- Guacamole Turkey Burger (available at Carl’s Jr.) with guacamole, pepper-Jack cheese, tomato, and lettuce.
- Mushroom Swiss Turkey Burger (available at Hardee’s) with sautéed mushrooms and two slices of Swiss cheese.
- BBQ Ranch Turkey Burger (available at Hardee’s) with BBQ sauce, red onion, tomato, lettuce, and buttermilk ranch sauce.
Would you eat a turkey burger from Carl's Jr. or Hardee's?
Image via CKE Restaurants