St. Patrick's Day is Thursday so what better way to celebrate with little ones than with Beer Donuts! Yep, it's a dream combination of your two favorite things, and it's safe for kids. Great for dunking in milk during breakfast, but even better for dunking in a dark Irish stout for dinner.
So get a little luck of the Irish in ya, get out the cocoa powder, and pop open a Guinness, it's time to celebrate!
Grease up a baking sheet and pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces of dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ cup dark beer
- Combine and sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. Combine egg, egg yolk, vanilla and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add in milk and beat to combine. Add in beer and beat to combine. In a separate bowl melt butter and chocolate in a bowl of over simmering water. Use a wooden spoon or sturdy spatula fold in chocolate mixture until combined.
- Transfer donut batter to a pastry bag and pipe into donut tins. Pipe once around each well with enough pressure on the pastry bag to fill the well ¼ of the way up. Bake for about 4-6 minutes.
And for the awesome chocolate glaze you'll need:
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 ounces chocolate
- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4-5 tablespoons of warm water
- Combine butter and chocolate in a bowl over simmering water. Heat to melt and add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, alternating with a tablespoon of water.
When donuts are ready, tip to the tops in the glaze and enjoy!
Photo via S. Diddy/Flickr