Sloppy Joes are one of those meals you never think to make, but that one time when you do, you remember just how much everyone loves them.
This version stays true to the classic recipe for the most part, but it also has a few surprises inside -- Italian sausage and more than a few veggies so you don't hate yourself in the morning. While it's simmering on the stove, toast some hamburger buns or wrangle up some napkins. After all, Sloppy Joes are so named for a reason!
Sloppy Joes from Dixie Caviar
- 1 onion, diced fine
- 1 celery stock, diced fine
- 1 carrot, diced fine
- 1 each small red and green bell pepper, diced fine
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed (mild or spicy)
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Hamburger buns
In large pan, saute the vegetables in a little oil and cook until tender, stirring occasionally -- about 5-7 minutes.
Add the beef and sausage. Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low/low and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes until flavors are blended.
Serve on hamburger buns.
Image via whitneyinchicago/Flickr