After a whirlwind of holiday shopping last weekend, this is what I want you to do this weekend -- relax.
Alright, so you're probably laughing at that, as your kids run behind you beating each other with paper towel tubes.
So let's at least take whatever break we can get, starting at breakfast: a cheesy ham and hash brown casserole.
Sounds like a time consuming meal, but the fact that you can make it the night before, you know, when coffee isn't required to function, gives this dish its appeal.
And have I mentioned that there are 7 cheeses in it? OMG, it's an ooey, gooey slice of heaven.
This recipe comes from Rachel at A Southern Fairytale and she says that it's one of her family's favorites.
Ham & Hash Brown Casserole
- 30 oz. bag of frozen shredded hash browns
- 2 (10.5 oz.) cans of cream of potato soup
- 1 (16 oz.) tub of sour cream
- 10 oz. smoked ham (you can use packages of lunch meat, deli meat, really any type of ham); chopped
- 1/2 of a medium to large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups of fresh grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of your favorite cheese blend (I use a six cheese Italian blend that consists of Parmesan, Mozzarella, Fontina, Provolone, Asiago and Romano)
- 2 tablespoons of pepper
- salt to taste
- dash of smoked paprika
How to make it:
1. Chop the onion and ham, grate the cheese. Mix together with the sour cream, hash browns, soup, onion, cheddar cheese and seasonings.
2. Spread into a 9 x 13 baking dish and top with cheese blend. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour or until hot, bubbly and golden brown around the edges.
3. If you make it the night before, take it out of the refrigerator about 20 minutes before baking. Also, if you so desire, sprinkling cooked bacon on top adds even more flavor and a nice crunch.
Now all you have to do in the morning is pop into the oven when you wake up and enjoy it an hour later!